Useful Links for Educators
Useful Mental Health Sites for Students and Teachers
Useful Tobacco Websites for Students and Teachers
Useful Sites for Sexual Health Teachers
Useful Nutrition Links
Useful Dental Links
- Ministry of Education - Healthy Schools Initiatives
- Foundations Chart
- Building a Healthy High School (for students)
- Healthy School Recognition Program Acceptance Form
- Healthy School Recognition Program Tips, Ideas and FAQs
- Daily Physical Activity in Elementary Schools
- Anaphylaxis Sabrina's Law
- The Clean Air Partnership (CAP): The Clean Air Partnership (CAP), in collaboration with the OPHA, has completed a new report, “School Buses, Air Pollution & Children’s Health – Follow-up Report” which examines the steps that have been taken in Ontario and across Canada to reduce childhood exposures to school bus emissions since 2005. We have also produced two 4-page factsheets; one for school bus operators (companies) and one for school board staff in both English and French. The report and factsheets can be downloaded from the CAP website.
- At My Best: a free comprehensive, curriculum-supported toolkit designed to help promote and develop children’s overall wellness
- Health Canada Educator's Page: includes links to information and resources about a variety of topics such as active living, nutrition, self-image, mental health, sexual health, smoking as well as general health and Canada's health care system
- Safe Healthy Schools: a gateway to information on comprehensive school health (CSH) and health promoting schools (HPS) providing links to research, reports, how-to manuals, planning & assessment tools, lesson plans and student webquests
- Mission UV: a sun protection program for students in Grades 2 and 3
- Environment Canada UV Resources : a summary of the Environment Canada resources pertaining to the UV Index, UV radiation and sun protection
- The Psychology Foundation of Canada
- Kids Have Stress Too! ® for Preschool & Kindergarten the program contains practice and curriculum-based, strategies to help young children learn how to become aware of and manage stress.
- Kids Have Stress Too! resource for Grade 1-3 classrooms features activities, a trainer manual, curriculum connections and additional resources for educators.
- Stress Lessons is a resource for Grades 4-6 designed to help you teach children how to manage stress today, and for the rest of their lives.
- Decompress your Stress Relaxation CD (Sudbury and District Health Unit): a resource created by youth for youth to help students cope with their stress in a healthy way.
- The Canadian Cancer Society
- Ontario Ministry of Health Promotion and Sport Smoke-Free Ontario
- Health Canada for Youth adapted the BC poster child, The Scoop, Quit 4 Life, The Industry
- Ontario Lung Association Help for students: Homework helpers, Youth & Tobacco Fact Sheets, Fact & Figures, and Backgrounders
- Saskatchewan Lung Association. Student and teacher resources, fact sheets and pictures
- Youth Voices This site is promoted by Public Health authorities. It has a lot of information on tobacco, health promotion and alcohol
- Physicians for a Smoke-free Canada, Fact sheets, Research, Publications
- Ontario Campaign for Action on Tobacco This web site is largely devoted to second-hand smoke issues: Health Effects, Ventilation, Smoke-free Legislation, Economic Impact, Legal Issues and Opposition
- Smoke-Free Ride A campaign designed to give parents who smoke the information and support they need to give their kids a healthy, smoke-free ride
- Peel Public Health. Changes in me - A Resource for Educators on Puberty and Adolescent Development.
- Peel Public Health. Helping Teens To Make Healthy Decisions About Sex And Relationships - A Resource for Educators
- Sexuality and U Administered by the Society of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists of Canada. Strategies, lesson plans, assignments, activities and development of teaching skills and knowledge
- Health Canada. Information and education materials on Sexually Transmitted Infections, learning modules for students
- Canadian Federation for Sexual Health. How to talk about sex with students
- Resource Center for Adolescent Pregnancy Prevention. Program materials
- Sex information and education council of Canada. Resource documents, Sexual Health Education in the Schools: Questions and Answers
- Public Health Agency of Canada. Canadian Guidelines for Sexual Health Education
- Teaching Sexual Health.ca Site developed by Alberta educators and health professionals. Lesson plans, teacher's resource site, student information site
- Ministry of Education Healthy Eating Resources
- Eat Well and Be Active Educational Toolkit This resource is designed to help those who teach children and adults about healthy eating and physical activity. The Toolkit includes:The Eat Well and Be Active Every Day poster; downloadable activity plans; 54 healthy eating and physical activity images to complement the poster.
- Titanium Chef A role playing game developed specifically for Canadian children in Grades 6 to 8; Titanium Chef is used in Canadian schools to teach Canada's Food Guide.
- Dietitians of Canada
- National Eating Disorders Information Centre
- Teach Nutrition : Dairy Farmers of Ontario
- Ontario Agri-Food Education Inc.
- Health Canada Interactive nutrition labels and quiz
- The Student Body: Promoting Health at Any Size
- Fuel Up for Fun - Eat Right Be Active for Kids 6 to 8 Years Old
- Health Canada information page on oral health
- Ontario Dental Association Puzzles and activity sheets on oral health
- Smile City An interactive and fun way for children to learn more about oral health. Activity sheets, games, and tips brought to you by the Canadian Dental Hygienists Association
last reviewed: May 13, 2013