Bureau de santé Porcupine Health Unit
Inspection of Tanning Bed Facilities
Effective on May 1, 2014, the Skin Cancer Prevention Act (Tanning Beds) 2013 bans youth under 18 years of age from accessing tanning services or ultraviolet light treatments for tanning.
Specifically, the legislation:
- Prohibits the sale, advertising and marketing of tanning services to youth under 18;
- Requires that tanning bed operators request identification from anyone who appears under 25 years of age;
- Requires that tanning bed operators post signs stating the ban on minors and the health risks of tanning bed use;
- Requires that all individuals using tanning beds are provided with protective eyewear;
- Requires that all tanning bed operators provide written notice of their location and business contact information to their local Medical Officer of Health;
- Sets fines for tanning bed owners/operators who fail to comply; and
- Authorizes inspectors to inspect and enforce these requirements.
Public health units are mandated to inspect tanning bed facilities following all complaints regarding problems identified under this legislation.