Skip to main content Skip to Navigation Skip to Footer
page banner image

Immunization Requirements for School or Daycare Attendance

Ontario’s Immunization of School Pupils Act (ISPA) requires that parents of children attending primary and secondary school provide their local medical officer of health with proof of their child’s immunization against designated diseases.

Ontario’s Child Care and Early Years Act (CCEYA) states that a child care centre must ensure that all children in their centre have complete immunization appropriate to their age prior to admission to the child care centre.  A record of immunization must be kept as part of each child’s record.

The following vaccines are required for school attendance: Diphtheria, Tetanus, Polio, Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Meningococcal disease, Pertussis (whooping cough), and Varicella (chickenpox).

The following vaccines are required for child care centre attendance: Diphtheria, Tetanus, Polio, Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Meningococcal disease, Pertussis (whooping cough), Varicella (chickenpox), Pneumococcal Disease, Rotavirus, and Haemophilus influenzae type b.

The Porcupine Health Unit has an electronic database that holds immunization records for every student (ages 0 to 17), who attends a licensed child care centre or school in our area.

Our role is to:

  • Maintain immunization records on every student attending school or a child care centre in the Porcupine Health Unit area;
  • Review student records annually to ensure that each student's vaccinations are up-to-date;
  • Mail out letters requesting any missing information, or reminding parents to update mandatory immunization as required;
  • Issue suspension notices from the school until the required immunization is received or an exemption is provided.

What to do if you get a notification or suspension letter

If you’ve received one of these letters from us, it means that your child is either overdue for vaccines or we have no record of their being vaccinated.

If your child is overdue for vaccines:

  • Make an appointment with your family physician’s office or the PHU to have their immunizations completed. Please make sure to bring the letter with you when you go to your doctor.
  • After the visit, send the completed letter to us so we can update your child’s record. To avoid a suspension from school, please do this as quickly as possible.
  • High school students may be able to get their vaccines at a school clinic. Complete the forms sent to you and return them to the school.

If your child has been immunized, you need to update your child’s record:

  • Call the Porcupine Health Unit so we can update his or her record.