Healthy Aging Expo
The Porcupine Health Unit, along with several partners, is hosting a local health fair featuring a variety of booths and speakers. In addition, we will be offering the influenza vaccine to older adults.
“Since older adults are often attending our events, this is a great opportunity for us to showcase what services are available to them,” says Natalie Vachon Ukrainetz, Public Health Nurse. “The booths will be manned by health professionals, such as a public health nurse, a dietitian and a pharmacist or volunteers that deal with seniors on a daily basis.”
Don’t miss out on the health fair happening in your community.
- Cochrane – Monday, October 30, 2017, from 1:00 to 5:00 p.m. at the Transfiguration Church Hall. For more information, contact Karen Belair-Girard at 705-272-3394 ext. 4202.
- Hearst – Wednesday, November 1, 2017, from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. at Club Action Hearst. For more information, contact Diane Fillion at 705-362-4854 ext. 4118.
- Hornepayne – Thursday, October 26, 2017, from 1:00 to 4:00 p.m. at the Royal Canadian Legion Br. 194. For more information, contact Natalie Vachon Ukrainetz at 807-868-2091 ext. 5222.
- Iroquois Falls – Thursday, October 19, 2017, from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. at the Iroquois Falls Recreation Centre. For more information, contact Terry Boucher at 705-258-2247 ext. 4315.
- Kapuskasing – Tuesday, October 24, 2017, from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. at the Civic Centre. For more information, contact Joanne Bennett at 705-335-6101 ext. 6202.
- Matheson – Friday, October 27, 2017, from 1:00 to 4:00 p.m. at the Floyd Hembruff Civic Centre. For more information, contact Jennette Lougheed at 705-273-2954 ext. 4410.
- Moosonee – Wednesday, October 25, 2017, from 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. at the Independent Living Housing Complex. For more information, contact Brittany Herd at 705-336-2294 ext. 325.
- Smooth Rock Falls – Thursday, October 26, 2017, from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. at the Community Center. For more information, contact Valérie Ouellette at 705-338-2654 ext. 6325.
- Timmins – Friday, October 27, 2017, from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. at Science Timmins (behind City Hall). For more information, contact Patrick Nowak at 705-267-1181 ext. 2369
Falls Prevention Made Easy
If you’re an older adult, you could be at risk for experiencing a fall. In Canada, 1 out of 3 adults over the age of 65 had a fall in the past year. Falls are dangerous and are responsible for the majority of serious injuries and loss of independence in older adults.
The Porcupine Health Unit is here to help you to stay active, stay independent, and stay on your feet.
Here are nine steps you can use to make sure you prevent a fall:
- Be Active
- Manage Your Medicines
- Manage Your Health
- Improve Your Balance
- Walk Tall
- Foot Care and Safe Footwear
- Regularly Check Your Eyesight and Hearing
- Eat Well for Life
- Identify, Remove, and Report Hazards
Get your Free Stay on Your Feet kit
Come to the Porcupine Health Unit and pick up a free Stay on Your Feet kit or visit the North-East LHIN website.
- Check your risk checklist;
- Home hazard guide;
- Easy to follow tips on how you can prevent a fall.
The kit is free. Drop by any Porcupine Health Unit office to pick one up!
Available Exercise Programs:
Stand Up! Is a program that is offered throughout the Cochrane district for older adults. It is a free exercise program that runs twice a week for 12 weeks with a trained facilitator.
Stand Up! has easy-to-do exercises that take place in group sessions and are able to be done at home.
In addition to the exercise classes, educational sessions occur once a week to give you tips on things like: identifying home hazards and choosing proper footwear.
Through the Stand Up! program, you can learn how to:
- Reduce your risk of falling
- Improve your balance and mobility
- Choose proper footwear
- Maintain and promote healthy bones
- Use good posture
- Identify possible risks in your home and reduce home hazards
- Increase self-confidence
- Be more active
From Soup to Tomatoes
From Soup to Tomatoes is a home-based exercise class that happens online every day. Ranging from strength-based programs to gentle armchair yoga, From Soup to Tomatoes has something you can do to increase flexibility, balance, and strength. For more information, check out http://www.fromsouptotomatoes.com/
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about exercise classes available in your area.